Friday, April 20, 2007

DeArmond Pickup

It looks like one of the types of pickups that was certainly in use by Lightnin' in the early and mid 1960s was a DeArmond sound hole pickup. They have a very distinctive look and can be plainly seen in a number of Lightnin' photos as well as some filmed performances.

There is some great info on this pickup over at LittleBrotherBlues.com.

From several sources, it seems like some of Lightnin's recordings and performances featured him plugging this pickup directly into the PA system, rather than into an amplifier.

I've done some checking and several of these pickups can be found on eBay. I'm bidding on one now, so we'll see if I can nab it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From several sources, it seems like some of Lightnin's testking 70-291 recordings and performances featured him plugging this pickup directly into testking 640-553 the PA system, rather than into an amplifier. I've done some checking and several of these pickups can be found on eBay. I'm bidding on testking 70-297 one now, so we'll see if I can nab it.