Monday, July 21, 2008

Bernie Pearl Video

Legendary acoustic blues player Bernie Pearl just uploaded a video of his performance of the Lightnin' Hopkins classic Shinin' Moon (one of my favorite Hopkins' tunes). Here is the link to the video.

I emailed Bernie after I saw this and this is what he sent back:

Thanks for the praise. I met Lightnin' in 1960 and played lots with him. I also studied his recordings and always try to capture the spirit, if not the note-for-note, of his music.

I'm playing a Martin 00-17 (1952) which I have owned since 1956 and used when I played with Lightnin'. No, no pickups at all. Just an acoustic guitar through a decent mic. It makes a great deal of tonal and touch difference when the guitar has an internal pickup or mic. It was a house mic., an SM-57, I think, going directly through the board. The engineer gave me enough monitors to allow me to hear what I was doing and, therefore, enjoy playing.

I'd love to come to Monmouth and play.

Thanks, Bernie

No comments: